ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS anonymity

  • To: <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WHOIS anonymity
  • From: "Nick Cuthbert" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:04:10 +0200

In the book Three Felonies a Day by Harvey Silverglate, describes how "The
average professional in this country (US) wakes up in the morning, goes to
work, comes home, eats dinner, and then goes to sleep, unaware that he or
she has likely committed several federal crimes that day" I'm sure this same
phenomena crops up in other countries under your jurisdiction.

In your move to eliminate anonymity from the online world, you are rending
dissenters who oppose incumbent government actors around the world
vulnerable to spurious legal action, presumably so that a small number of
special interest groups can identify a small number of website
administrators who are running services which (very) arguably affect said
special interest group's profit margins. I feel that a simple cost/benefit
analysis would indicate that the denigration of our right to privacy is not
worth the potential benefits of your revised WHOIS policy.

Regards,

Nick Cuthbert