ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: "David Frey" <watchtower@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 21:34:39 -0700 (PDT)

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Consider this scenario:
A female software engineer an small business owner writes a blog post about the
diversity problems in the tech sector. A few hundred male engineers take
extreme exception to feminism and decide to target and harass this author by
looking up the WHOIS information on her website. This could lead to real
personal safety concerns when the listed address is a personal residence.

All it takes is one act of violence to turn this decision into a tragedy.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.