ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN proposal regarding domain name proxy services

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN proposal regarding domain name proxy services
  • From: Daniel Kadane <Daniel.Kadane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 05:10:48 +0000

Hello,

I believe the current proposal to remove the ability to use a proxy service for
domain registration would be a mistake.

There is a large number of reasons as to why there may be a need to keep a
domain name registration details private.

I understand that from a piracy perspective, it would make it easier for rights
holders to locate the infringing party.

However the right to privacy is more important.

There are many websites where political or controversial opinions are discussed
and making the details of the site owner freely accessible, jeopardises their
safety.

Even the owner of a fan website could suffer recourse should their details be
out in the open.

Despite the benefits to rights holders, I do not believe this proposal should
pass.

Regards,

Daniel Kadane
Southern Region Pre-Sales Engineer