ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

potential whois changes

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: potential whois changes
  • From: Richard <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 16:07:22 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I am opposed to these proposed changes,

obtaining private information should only be possible via a court order.

or at least by a complainant contacting the hosting company.

eg I own DirectEmails.info, in order to have personalised emails.
I often sign up to different things on the internet,
eg forums and mailing lists.

I dont want such websites being able to dig up all my personal data,
because this will lead to bait sites,

where freebies are given as bait to then get the personal info.

Now if I break some rules, the website can firstly complain to
my hosting company namecheap.com who have all my private info
and can decide what happens next.

there is a problem that without court orders, people can
use deception to find out someone's private information.

sometimes in town, people have given me their email address
in order that I can contact them. but they havent given me
their house address or phone number. they have decided
just to give their email address. such changes would mean
I could go through my contact list and dig up information
I was not meant to have.

people have the right to decide what info to give out:
eg name, house address, email address, mobile phone number,
landline phone number.

the other person could demand further info, and
eg opt out of a deal if this isnt forthcoming.

when I buy on the internet, I always use either
VISA card, Mastercard or PayPal, because these
latter protect me from rogue vendors. most purchases
are via Amazon and ebay, who shield users from vendors.
if I buy from a rogue vendor on ebay, ebay has
the entire trade process on their servers.

anyway, without legal process, people will start
trawling the internet gathering personal info on all
the websites.

eg I could go to the icann.org website, and locate
email addresses supplied in profiles, and then
dig up the addresses.

basically you need lawyers as a barrier to acquiring
private information on people. complaints and to
shut down unacceptable content without legal process
can be done via the hosting company, and then escalated
if necessary to a regulator of hosting companies.

private information really is only necessary for
legal process, in order to locate someone who has
broken the law. why does some private individual need my
address, phone number, etc?

what are they planning to do with this?

stare through the windows?

only the law enforcement people need my address.

sometimes emails are sent to a big list of people,
such an email could be printed out and then thrown away.
someone could get hold of the email, and then dig up
the info on people in the list.

in particular each person on the list could dig up info
on the others in the list.

as regards websites, sometimes people set up websites
which express controversial opinions. but if these
opinions are legal, the person should have the right
to privacy, and its necessary to have privacy to speak
freely. if the comments seem unacceptable, the complainant
can then first contact the hosting company, who can
decide if this is the case and order the person to remove
the comments. if the complainant isnt happy with the
action of the hosting company, there could be a
regulator of hosting companies to then complain to.

and then to use legal process, or use legal process at
the outset if the law seems to be broken: the lawyer
then acts as a filter against phishing genre of activity.

anyway, for commercial websites, you usually buy using
VISA, Mastercard or PayPal, and they enforce their own
protections.

someone could use a genuine address, phone number etc
and still scam people! happens all the time.

despite knowing who the person is and where they
live, you are still powerless without legal process.
because your allegation is hearsay until legal process
begins.

in fact you could take someone to court, win the court
case, and still not get your money, where the defendant
refuses to pay up. various big companies and organisations
in the UK do this.

many thanks

Richard Biswas