ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: private.biz@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:34:23 -0700

        Dear ICANN –

        Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS
privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services
Accreditation Issues Policy document):

        I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due
process.
 - Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
 - No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court
order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private
individual or law enforcement agency.

        This policy change will increase the risk both financially and
physically for business owners by giving easy access to the litany of
con artists, hackers, thieves, and anyone with ill intent seeking
personal information of their targets. The number of cons and scams,
by phone and email, already numerous and increasing, will become
harder to detect and defend against and will add to the amount of time
and cost already expended. We have thwarted frauds constructed with
just the type of information you propose to make available.
Fortunately, they have been easy to detect because the information
they used was wrong, as the perpetrator, forced to guess these
details, revealed their dishonesty and ill intent.

        Privacy is an important defense. Private information should be kept
private.

        Thank you.