ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Rohit Bhute <rvbhute@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 08:24:30 +0530

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency. - There is a real threat to lives of bloggers in Bangladesh; exposing their WHOIS will make it easier for their attackers. - India also has very regressive social attitudes masked under the cover of law. Revealing WHOIS data will make it easier for fundamentalists of all hues to attack people who express dissenting opinions on their personal websites.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

--
Rohit Bhute
twitter.com/rohitbhute