ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy
  • From: Tom Elovi Spruce <i.love.comput3rs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 07:01:05 -0700

Dear ICANN –

I am an artist who publishes his works under a pen name. I feel comfortable
posting my works under my own registered domain because of the privacy
protections I receive from my provider. I do not believe the proposed
accreditation program for privacy providers will protect me as a domain
registerer.

Under this proposed program, the moment I sell my works, I have to publicize my
contact information. Then, if I did a provocative or controversial piece, that
information could be used in malice by those wishing to harm me due to my
expression. Just to be more specific, I have considered creating a piece
criticizing gamer culture. If my contact information is listed in the WHOIS
database because I sell stickers of my logo, I could be a victim of SWATing.

More so, if a government body or law enforcement agency wants to inquire about
my personal information as a registerer, it should be done so under a court
order and have me informed of the inquiry. I do not see this due process
happening under the proposed program.

Like most online users, I value my privacy and because of this, I reject the
proposed accreditation program.
---
i❤computers
http://twitter.com/ilovecomputers <http://twitter.com/ilovecomputers>