ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Thomas Arnold <hydriv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:09:15 -0400

Dear ICANN –

I wish to go on record as being 100 percent opposed to the changes being
proposed to the rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

In recent years, we have seen a steady erosion of citizen privacy along
with several attempts to exert governmental control over the internet. I
urge you to vote against any such changes that would affect the rights to
privacy and due process for internet users.

While I understand that governments are trying to deal with terrorism and
other criminal activities, trampling on the rights of those who are not
engaged in breaking the law is a step too far.

Privacy is a fundamental right in most civilized nations.  Let's not take
backward steps onto a slippery slope.

- There are procedures in place already that the law enforcement agencies
have available to them.  Opening up a shortcut is not a responsible course
of action. Let the agencies show the court just cause for a warrant to be
issued.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Thomas Arnold