ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN new proprosed rules for WHOIS and domain name owners for commercial use

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN new proprosed rules for WHOIS and domain name owners for commercial use
  • From: gouessej@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 13:30:48 +0200 (CEST)

Dear ICANN

I am a political activist, I run my own blog on Wordpress.com and I plan to
host it on my own server soon, I pay Automattic Inc. in order to remove all ads
from it and I have nothing to sell. I don't want my blog to become a billboard
for commercial products. Despite my efforts, your definition of commercial use
seems to be very broad. I already give some information to contact me but I
have received some scary messages from some men claiming to work for the army
and I have already put my phone number into a "red list" because of harassment.
I don't want to be forced to put my full postal address into the whois.

As I write about some "sensible" subjects that affect some companies, I fear to
be harassed a lot more if I must publish much more personal information.
Moreover, the pressure of the entertainment industry would lead to work around
the law instead of driving Internet fairer and safer because it would put lots
of people at risk (especially political, association and union activists) and
it is already possible to contact the proxy services to obtain the personal
information of a domain name owner. The need of a court order is helpful to
discourage companies to use intimidation without encouraging illegal activities
and I'm sure that the people who really want to make money from copyrighted
content will easily ignore your proposed rules, i.e they will affect lawful
people and they will miss their main target.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Julien Gouesse