ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Please let me keep my personal details out of the WHOIS database

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Please let me keep my personal details out of the WHOIS database
  • From: Harry Beeche <fishs.nest@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 01:47:04 +1000

Dear ICANN

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

Please let my domain registrar keep my personal information private by
keeping it out of the WHOIS database.

I have purchased a domain name and have built a website for personal and
non commercial use.

I was very relieved to know that my domain name registrar offered a privacy
service to keep my personal details out of the WHOIS database.

My personal details include sensitive information such as my home address,
and home phone number.

I would feel very unsafe if these details were published or otherwise made
available without due legal process.

If my details were made available in such a way I would now be worried that
I might be open to spamming, harassment or bullying, and identity theft.

This would lead me to either having to shut down the web site or take
elaborate actions to further protect myself eg creating a new phone number
and buying a post office box.

Making WHOIS details available greatly disadvantages people who create web
sites for non commercial use and don't have a business address, a business
phone number, and security services to help shield themselves from online
threats and nuisances appearing in real life.

The internet would be much poorer if personal web site owners felt they
might have to take down their sites in fear of their safety.

Please respect web site owners' desire for privacy and do not make WHOIS
data available without a court order.

Those who wish to keep their personal details private should be able to do
so.

I am very happy to talk more about this if you wish.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Harry Beeche