ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Proposed WHOIS Changes

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Proposed WHOIS Changes
  • From: Craig McDonald <craig.mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 12:28:28 -0600

Dear ICANN:

I am someone that owns many domain names for hobby and quasi-commercial
purposes, I am concerned about the proposed rules governing companies that
provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy
Services Accreditation Issues Policy document).

I am easy to locate when needed, and my registrar could obviously easily
facilitate this contact if asked by a legal authority, but publishing all
my contact information directly in whois is too revealing for me and my
family.  If anything, I'd like to see this go the other way, where the
default is privacy so that I don't have to pay as much to keep my home
address and phone number off the internet.

The internet has mostly been a powerful force for good, but it can easily
cause accidental damage to civil society if we're not careful.  Please be
sure whatever decision you make is the right decision for society, and not
just for some temporary commercial or governmental interest (when you take
the long view of humanity).

Thanks.

Craig