ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Domain Registration Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Domain Registration Privacy
  • From: Jim Mayer <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 10:12:57 -0400

Dear ICANN:

I strongly oppose the current proposal to limit the ability of domain
registrants to use privacy services. I have my own domain and use a privacy
service. Although it is not currently used for commercial activity, I
recently left my software development job and an considering doing
consulting work, which could subject my domain to the proposed regulations.

Both my wife and I use this domain for our personal email. In addition, I
participate in numerous discussions on social media, sometimes on sensitive
subjects including racism. I use my real name and face in those discussions
because I don't want to hide behind anonymity.

There is, however, a big difference between being public and letting the
world know exactly where you live. I have received threatening racist
messages in reply to my social media posts. I do not want to make finding
my home addresses any easier than it already is. I do not want to put my
home, my property, and my family at risk. There are crazy, dangerous,
people out there.

A court order should be required to find a registrant's address. The mere
use of a web site for commercial activity (which could be as little as ads
supporting a blog) should not invalidate an individual's desire for privacy.

Jim Mayer