ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Domain privacy and definition of 'commercial' use

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Domain privacy and definition of 'commercial' use
  • From: Paul Hempshall <alesismk2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 22:06:32 +0100

Greetings,

I would like to express my concern regarding the proposals of disallowing
commercial websites from the domain privacy option that is readily
available to registrants.

This is disturbing on the fact that the term 'commercial use' is vague and
so far it has been judged as 'commercial' for the simple act of running
advertisements. I realize that some commercial entities gain most, or if
not all, their earnings from advertisements but I would like to stress that
these websites generally hold legal status as an organisation.

I am not apposed to commercial entities from being disallowed domain
privacy as this is similar to the way .co.uk domains work, however I
believe that for a domain registration to be considered commercial use then
that individual/company should have legal status as a company/organisation
in their jurisdiction. Simply running adverts does not constitute 'profit'
or 'commercial use'.

I would therefore appreciate the discussion of the following:

   - Definition of what constitutes commercial
   - Recognition of not-for-profit websites running advertisements
   - Safe-guarding vulnerable groups from exposure
   - Greater ease for legal entities to access registrant data if necessary
   for preventing crime
   - Stricter penalties for registrants that breach the rules

Kind regards,
Paul Hempshall
http://www.paulhempshall.com