ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Whois provacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Whois provacy
  • From: Bob Dunlop <bob.dunlop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 08:10:18 +0100

I have only just become aware of and am appalled by the idea of requiring
WHOIS company to provide the home address of private domain holders
without the due process of law.

For a simple example of why this is so wrong take my own case.  I'm a
transvestite and currently can freely post my email address on public
forums that I visit.  At worst viewers can determine my real name and
from the IP address my approximate location.  I find this useful in order
to offer support to those that don't feel happy discussing things on an
open forum.  If WHOIS gives them my home address I could have all sorts
of unsavory characters like religious extreemists turning up on my doorstep.
Worse still it's retrospective, I have no way to protect/retract the posts
I have already made.

I think the fact that Facebook is in favour of this just goes to reinforce
what a bad idea it it.

--
        Bob Dunlop