ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Domain Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Domain Privacy
  • From: John & Cyrilla Malis <johnncyrilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 22:51:42 -0500

Hello,
Just a few comments …
This organization is suffering from some of the same problems we are seeing in
many other governmental organizations, that is policy being written by those
who stand to benefit from it financially, and those who put the interests of
the board over those who it serves, that is the public.
Technology and the policies that manage it, should not be used as a sledge
hammer to concentrate power in the hands of a few “economic” interests, and
their “foundations.” In this model, that we have seen before in the industrial
age, people and the environment suffer greatly.
We are also seeing a steady, and unnecessary erosion of privacy. ICANN should
not be adding to it. Privacy is a right. It is fundamental that one should be
able to start a business in peace and privacy. It is difficult enough to start
a business. One should have to worry about leeches globbing off it before you
can get off the ground.
ICANN should not be engaging in commercial cloaking and smoke screen tactics,
such as hiding behind a “non-profit” status only in strict financial terms.
ICANN should not be engaging in outrageous commercial “negotiation” tactics.
such as soliciting feedback from the public when you have no intention of
listening to it.
Sincerely,
John Malis