ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Save domain name privacy

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Save domain name privacy
  • From: Juha-Pekka Junnikkala <jp_junnikkala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 18:20:12 +0300

Dear ICANN –
Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):
I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.-
Everyone deserves the right to privacy.- No one’s personal information should
be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request comes from
a private individual or law enforcement agency.
Private information should be kept private. Thank you.
---
As my own comment I would like to add that I do not see the proposed changes to
domain name privacy as a good thing at all, as the internet is much more than
just a platform to police and protect copyright. It has become a system that we
all depend upon more or less, with our social lives being shared with other
individuals around the world, with education and entertainment only a few
clicks away and information and news being shared with everyone, wherever you
may be.
The internet used to be a place where you could act anonymously, with a
nickname or with your real name if you chose to do so. While acting with your
real name would show responsibility and accountability for your words and
actions, it always opened up a door for someone to misuse that information.
There's always been a fine line if you should reveal this information on a site
or not, and I feel the same applies to domain name registration. Some people
take great risks to bring out sensitive information that should be public but
isn't because of censorship or heavy propaganda, some run a business that needs
the privacy for security reasons. Nonetheless there are applications and
situations where an individuals private information should not be public and
should only be revealed with a court order, if need be.

I hope we can all have that choice to keep our private information private in
the future. Thank You.
- Juha-Pekka Junnikkala