ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-raa-insurance-15jan15]

Blacknight Comments - Potential Change to Registrar Accreditation Insurance Requirement

  • To: "comments-raa-insurance-15jan15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-raa-insurance-15jan15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Blacknight Comments - Potential Change to Registrar Accreditation Insurance Requirement
  • From: Michele Neylon - Blacknight <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:04:34 +0000

Dear Sir / Madam

I am submitting these comments in my personal capacity as founder and managing
director of Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd, an ICANN accredited registrar
based in Ireland.

I have engaged with ICANN staff and other members of the ICANN Community around
the topic of "Underserved Regions" over the past 18 months. While I still think
that ICANN needs to clearly define what it means by "underserved regions" I
also think that reviewing the criteria and processes associated with becoming
an ICANN accredited registrar is an important and worthwhile exercise. Like any
process it should be reviewed from time to time to make sure that it is still
"in tune" with reality. The world of 2001 was very different and things like
data escrow did not exist.

As a company based in Ireland we had some difficulty in applying to ICANN to
become accredited as, at the time, the entire process was framed with American
companies in mind. In fact this led to us delaying our accreditation by about 2
years due to us misunderstanding how we could represent ourselves in order to
meet the criteria as we understood them.
With respect to insurance the terminology is problematic. " commercial general
liability" insurance is an American concept, so even though we do have more
than adequate insurance it wouldn't be called that.

Are there valid reasons why ICANN should continue to require CGL insurance?
I'm not sure that there are. What purpose is the insurance meant to serve
exactly?

Has any registrar or gTLD or ccTLD registry found CGL coverage useful in
running their businesses?

We are legally obliged to have several different types of insurance in order to
operate a business in Ireland. We review our insurance every year to make sure
that we have ample coverage for our staff, key staff, equipment and an ever
growing range of potential issues.

Are there alternatives to CGL insurance that would provide similar or better
protections for registrants that could be instituted either as new contractual
requirements or as "best practice" recommendations?
I'm not sure it's really required, as with data escrow etc., the domains and
the data are protected and there is a fully operational process to migrate
domains to a new registrar in case of registrar failure.

If ICANN eliminates the CGL requirement, should the elimination apply to all
registrars or should "waivers" be granted only on a case-by-case basis?

Any changes to requirements on registrars should be applied to all registrars
equally.
There are multiple reasons for this:
- domain services are global in their nature. Registrants will assume that all
registrars are the same and registrars compete across national boundaries all
the time
- managing "waivers" is time consuming and costly for both ICANN and the
registrars
- what criteria could be applied? Any attempt to change the rules around
something like this would be open to "gaming" if not applied uniformly

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon