ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-rpm-requirements-06aug13]

Donuts RPM Comments

  • To: comments-rpm-requirements-06aug13@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Donuts RPM Comments
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:57:04 -0400

On behalf of Donuts, we would like to offer these limited comments on the
recent submissions related to Rights Protection Measures.

Overall, we join United TLD on its comments on this issue.

We also want to focus on two simple changes to the timing of the sunrise
period.  First, instead of the current requirement of a  mandatory minimum
30-day notice period and a 30-day sunrise period, many applicants have
requested holding a 60-day notice/sunrise period instead.  Some applicants may
choose to start accepting sunrise applications as of the first day of notice
and accept them for 60 or more days, while others may accept applications on
day 15 after notice, and for at least 45 days.  In our sunrise, no matter how
many days the registry accepts the applications, no names would be allocated
until the end of the sunrise period.  Whether the sunrise period is 60 days and
includes the notice period, or 30 days notice and 30 days sunrise, the last day
would be exactly the same.  If more than one rights holder applies for the
name, it will go to a sunrise auction in either scenario.

This should not be a controversial proposition.  It benefits rights holders as
they would have more time to apply for names at sunrise (e.g. 60 days vs. 30
days) and fix any mistakes in their applications.  Moreover, there does not
appear to be any downside to rights holders, especially if the registry waits
until the end of the sunrise period (the same day in either scenario) to
allocate the names and doesn't employ a first-come first-serve allocation
method.  Those commenters who raised concerns about the timing only appear to
be concerned about this allocation issue, which is easily rectified.  We
believe that our system is reasonable, benefits rights holders, is consistent
with the comments and demands of the IPC during the Strawman negotiations and
would receive support in that community.

The second change is to start the notification clock as a TLD is sent to IANA
for delegation, as opposed to waiting until actual delegation.  There is no
reason why a registry could not use that period efficiently to start the
notification clock.  Applicants have been delayed long enough and ICANN should
realize as much efficiency as possible to compensate applicants for such delay.
 While two weeks may not seem like a lot to some, multiply that by nearly 1,000
registries and one could see the impact of this small change.

When applicants applied for TLDs over a year ago, the requirement was only a
30-day sunrise period and no notice period.  Many rights holders requested a
60-day sunrise period after the application process was complete.  Upon request
by ICANN, many applicants did not oppose a 30-day notice period and 30-day
sunrise period based on discussions that notice could be provided
pre-delegation.  Once the notice period extends past delegation, the registry
should be able to accept applications during such notice period.  To do
otherwise would cause material detriment to applicants that relied on their
agreements with ICANN, the Applicant Guidebook.

This process has been delayed for long enough.  Applicants should be able to
accept sunrise applications as soon as possible and not have to wait for an
arbitrary notice period that they never agreed to in their contracts with
ICANN.   Moreover, they should be able to provide rights holder with notice as
early as possible.