ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-rpm-requirements-06aug13]

.BIBLE Supports Founders Programs

  • To: "comments-rpm-requirements-06aug13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-rpm-requirements-06aug13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .BIBLE Supports Founders Programs
  • From: Scott Wennermark <swennermark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:39:22 +0000

Thank you for the opportunity to weigh on what are critical issues for the
successful launch of new gTLDs.
The American Bible Society (ABS) was the only applicant for the .BIBLE TLD.
This was not a coincidence.  In the time leading up to the application window,
ABS had been in contact with dozens of interested partners from around the
globe who were interested in the potential of a .BIBLE TLD.  After careful
consideration and reflection with our partners, we proceeded with the
investment and a decision was made by many to support our application for
.BIBLE instead of undertaking what would have been a competing application.
One of the first programs we envisioned for the successful launch of the .BIBLE
TLD was a Founders Program whereby these same organizations that supported our
application could selectively be allowed to launch and develop websites under
the .BIBLE TLD. We see this as critical to not only raise the awareness of the
TLD but also to model the TLD for its intended use.
Our stakeholders have been anticipating the availability of a Founders Program
since submission of the application. It has been a key component to our launch
plan since application.  That is why we find it troubling that ICANN would
consider preventing the operation of such a program.
A properly run .BIBLE Founders Program that complies with the bevy of rights
protection measures required by ICANN should pose no threat to trademark
owners.  The organizations who would be participating in such a program are not
interested in infringing on the trademarks of others.  They are interested in
using .BIBLE domains names to model good and effective use of the gTLD.  Given
the extremely limited scope of these programs, the compliance team at ICANN
should be able to easily monitor the implementation of with these programs to
make sure that best practice is being followed.
By potentially not allowing for Founders Programs, ICANN would eliminate one of
the key launch programs for ours and other new TLDs coming online.  Allowing
partner organizations to register and develop websites using the .BIBLE TLD is
one way to ensure a successful launch.
We have been a vocal proponent of the new gTLD process-both in the press and in
our own direct communications efforts. We are excited to see new gTLDs come to
market but given the limited awareness that the public has about the
forthcoming gTLDs is important that registries be afforded the ability to
properly model use via a Founders Program. We view this as absolutely critical
for public awareness for .BIBLE and all new gTLD applicants.
We strongly urge ICANN to take a balanced approach and allow for Founders
Programs that provide registry operators flexibility to launch their TLD while
complying with all the required rights protection mechanisms that are a part of
the new gTLD program.
Scott Wennermark
Director, Strategic Advancement
American Bible Society