ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-tcr-dnssec-key-signing-21jan14]

ICANN TCR consultation

  • To: comments-tcr-dnssec-key-signing-21jan14@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN TCR consultation
  • From: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 17:28:53 -0500

Disclaimer: I'm a backup TCR at this point and have attended a number of KEY
ceremonies both in person and via video feed
the comments below are mine but have been shaped by discussion with various
TCR's
If I was a TCR on the east coast I would be able to drive to ceremonies in
about 2 hours thus attending ceremonies there is convenient,
unlike attending ceremonies in LA.
Is the current TCR model effectively performing its function of ensuring trust
in the KSK management process?

It is an important function
Is the current size of the TCR pool appropriate to ensure sufficient
participation in the ceremonies, while not overburdening the availability of
specific volunteers?

The pool is sufficient. When selecting the current pool great consideration was
taken to have global representation. The consequence of this is the "effort" of
attending key signing ceremonies differs between the TCR's. Some can drive to
the ceremony others need unto 2 days of traveling each way to attend.
Should there be a minimum level of participation required of a TCR in order to
be considered to be successfully discharging their duties?

I think that a TCR that can not attend 3 ceremonies in a row should resign/be
removed.
I think TCR's should attempt to attend 3 out of every 5 ceremonies.
There is no standard provision to refresh the list of TCRs except when they are
replaced due to inability to effectively perform their function. Should there
be a process to renew the pool of TCRs, such as using term limits or another
rotation mechanism?

In a normal circumstances I think each TCR should serve a 5-7 year term, the
TCR's should be replaced on a rotating schedule.
The current model does not compensate TCRs for their services in order to
ensure their independence from ICANN.

This is bogus argument either the TCR's have enough integrity to fulfill their
duty or not. Why are TCR's more independent than the Auditors attending the
ceremony and paid for by ICANN.
Should the model of TCRs paying the costs of their participation be retained?

NO NO NO
the current model will mean that finding new TCR's will be hard and the current
ones will start resigning over the costs of attending,
right now in number of cases the TCR cost of attending is covered by their
employer if the person changes a job that funding goes away.
I think reasonable compensation for travel expenses is in order to retain high
quality TCR's.
Would some form of compensation to offset the expenses incurred by the TCRs
detract from their independence in performing the role?

See above no.
If you support compensating TCRs for their expenses, are there requirements or
limitations on whom the funding organization should be?

ICANN should cover the expenses, ICANN is responsible for the operation of the
root and this is part that operation.
If there is any issue with ICANN paying directly to TCR's ICANN should find an
external independent body to handle the paperwork and
reimbursments.

What should be covered expenses:
Airline including Internet access, Hotel, rental car/taxi, stipend for food and
drinks

TCR travel allowance should be similal to what ICANN provides for various
people to attend ICANN meetings like members of nomcom.

TCR's should not be reimbursed for travel time nor time attending ceremonies

Olafur Gudmundsson ogud at ogud dot com