ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-transliteration-contact-initial-16dec14]

Public Comment – Initial Report on the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Policy Development Process

  • To: "comments-transliteration-contact-initial-16dec14@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-transliteration-contact-initial-16dec14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Public Comment – Initial Report on the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Policy Development Process
  • From: Donna Austin <Donna.Austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 23:54:03 +0000

ARI Registry Services (ARI) thank the members of the working group for their
ongoing efforts and welcome the opportunity to comment in this forum.

ARI supports a linguistically diverse and inclusive internet and encourages
balancing the local needs of domain registrants with the global needs of
internet participants and law enforcement. However, we do not consider that
mandatory translation and transliteration of contact information into a single
common language (English) or script (ASCII) (“transformation”) will advance
these goals. We support the arguments opposing mandatory transformation as made
by the PDP and, in respect of the particular recommendations; we actively
support recommendation #1 against mandatory transformation of contact
information and recommendation #2 in favour of a Registration Directory Service
(RDS) that supports non-Latin script inputs.

In submitting this comment, we referred to the PDP’s Charter and acknowledge
its recognition of other working groups, studies and reports addressing the
difficulties posed by the current WHOIS system. We particularly note the Expert
Working Group on gTLD Directory Services, the final report of which recommended
a complete overhaul of the current WHOIS system and the implementation of a
“next generation Registration Directory Service”. We understand that the RDS
Work Plan is in development and that 2015 will see the establishment of various
new PDPs in this space. We further refer to the advisory clarifying WHOIS
obligations published in September 2014 and the various other groups, including
the Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Working Group and the WHOIS
Accuracy Pilot Study Report. We also acknowledge that the PDP’s recommendations
are likely to help shape the future development of any new RDS.

In light of the numerous separate efforts taking place, and the associated
complexities experienced by stakeholder groups in understanding the WHOIS space
and keeping up to date, we would encourage ICANN and the wider community to
take a step back and adopt a broad perspective. We submit that community
stakeholders need an opportunity to understand how the recommendations of the
PDP will contribute both towards operations in the short term and towards the
WHOIS of the future. Without clear oversight, we fear that short term policy
developments, and their associated expenditure, will fail to result in the
effective accomplishment of long term goals.

Conclusion
We support the PDP’s recommendation against mandatory transformation of contact
information and the development of an RDS that supports non-Latin script
inputs. However, in respect of the other recommendations, we also seek to
highlight the difficulty in understanding how the recommendations fit into the
broader WHOIS framework and encourage further community discussion leading to
the development of a Registration Data Directory Service that will support the
future of the internet.

Regards,

Donna

DONNA AUSTIN
Policy and Industry Affairs Manager

ARI REGISTRY SERVICES
Melbourne | Los Angeles
P  +1 310 890 9655
P  +61 3 9866 3710
E  donna.austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
W  www.ariservices.com

Follow us on Twitter

The information contained in this communication is intended for the named
recipients only. It is subject to copyright and may contain legally privileged
and confidential information and if you are not an intended recipient you must
not use, copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have
received this communication in error, please delete all copies from your system
and notify us immediately.