ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-variant-ux-18jan13]

6.1.1.1 2The approval of a variant TLD must not be automatic, but initiated upon the request of an applicant ..."

  • To: "comments-variant-ux-18jan13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-variant-ux-18jan13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: 6.1.1.1 2The approval of a variant TLD must not be automatic, but initiated upon the request of an applicant ..."
  • From: "Dillon, Chris" <c.dillon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:47:22 +0000

Dear colleagues,

This is just to pick up the point I was trying to make on today's webinar.
On p.41 we have 6.1.1.1 "The approval of a variant TLD must not be automatic,
but initiated upon the request of an applicant ..."

A well-made table could have columns for e.g. Traditional and Simplified
Chinese code points variants (or e.g. Arabic and Urdu variants) which could be
used to do a lot of the generation of variant labels automatically. This could
be useful if, for example, an applicant forgot to apply for a Traditional
Chinese variant code point.

That would be before the activation stage where human beings intervened and
decided the status of the variant labels, or made sure the results were what
was intended, or had a variant label added, or limited several variant labels
to a subset of them.

Regards,

Chris.
--
Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Dept of Information Studies, UCL,
Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599)