ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-whois-accuracy-14may15-en]

Policy overlooks aspects of privacy and safety

  • To: comments-whois-accuracy-14may15-en@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Policy overlooks aspects of privacy and safety
  • From: Sam Carlile <samkcarlile@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 23:09:19 -0500

I can see the benefits of this from the perspective of SOPA, however the
proposed policy is flawed.  I run a blog and have a development server with
a registered domain name and WHOIS protection. I'm not much of a privacy
freak compared to others, but I find having to share my address just to own
a domain name for a site that is not particularly  "commercial", slightly
ridiculous.

It is one thing to share my email and name, but being forced to make my
home address available to essentially anyone is quite unnecessary. I'm sure
many people would agree with me. Not only that, but this would enable any
government to find the owner of any registered domain without even asking.
Any government.

If this policy passes through, I think it at least needs to be modified in
a way that respects the privacy and safety of individuals like me and many
others.

As it stands now, the policy disregards multiple important factors.