ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-whois-ars-pilot-23dec14]

WHOIS Pilot Study report - Danish comments

  • To: "'comments-whois-ars-pilot-23dec14@xxxxxxxxx'" <comments-whois-ars-pilot-23dec14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WHOIS Pilot Study report - Danish comments
  • From: Finn Petersen <FinPet@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:12:48 +0000

The Danish Business Authority welcomes the opportunity to provide its  general
comments to the WHOIS Pilot Study Report.

Firstly, we would like to thank ICANN for the briefing to the GAC in Singapore
on the wide range of WHOIS-related activities currently underway. We would like
to reiterate that it is of the greatest importance to ensure that all
stakeholders, including governments, are effectively involved in this important
work as many of the issues under discussion and analysis have public policy
dimensions, including privacy, law enforcement, consumer protection and public
safety. Especially taking into account the resources going into the current
processes of the IANA transition and the related work on enhancing ICANN
accountability where large parts of the community is involved. Moreover, we
would like to refer to earlier GAC advice concerning WHOIS, including GAC
Communiqués from Singapore February 2015, Los Angeles October 2015, and London
June 2014 as well as GAC WHOIS Principles.

Secondly, with regard to the WHOIS Pilot Study Report, we believe that while it
is important to examine the syntactic and operational aspects of WHOIS data
validation, these aspects must be supported by exploring accuracy from an
identity perspective in order to determine that WHOIS data corresponds to the
registrant.

In the Danish Domain Act, which regulates the Danish ccTLD, there are rules
concerning WHOIS data. The rules state that the .dk WHOIS database must be
accurate and in order to achieve this the administrator of .dk must perform an
identity check on the registrant before activating a domain name.

We are looking forward to continuing to working together with ICANN, including
through the GAC, on these important matters.

Kind regards

Finn Petersen
Director of International ICT Relations

DANISH BUSINESS AUTHORITY