ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-whois-misuse-27nov13]

Some questions and suggestions about the WHOIS Misuse study

  • To: comments-whois-misuse-27nov13@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Some questions and suggestions about the WHOIS Misuse study
  • From: Nacer Adamou Saidou <adamou.nacer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:03:38 +0300

Hi,
At first, I want to congratulate all the parties for this excellent job.
My first question is about the duration of the experiment: 6 months. How was
this duration determined?
My second question is about the fact that the gTLD is "the sole
statistically-significant characteristic that affects the occurrence of the
associated misuse of phone numbers published in WHOIS". What explanation could
you provide for this correlation? Is it due to the reputation of the
corresponding gTLD?
And similarly, you stated that the price of the domain name is negatively
correlated with the possibility of misuse of email addresses published in
WHOIS. can we extrapolate by saying that this is due to the availability of
additional services (like proxy/privacy services and other) provided with the
domain name?

Finally, as this study seems to be very informative, I suggest that the GNSO
supporting organization build a toolset for a continuous monitoring of WHOIS
misuse reported incidents so that such information would be available for
decision making.

Best Regards