ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-whois-pp-abuse-study-24sep13]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

whois privacy protection

  • To: "comments-whois-pp-abuse-study-24sep13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-whois-pp-abuse-study-24sep13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: whois privacy protection
  • From: Ed Seaford <ed.seaford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 06:06:40 +0000

Dear GNSO,

I am the Commercial Director for a Corporate Domain Name Management company
called Web IP.  We represent the interests of many of Australia's largest
corporate brands, including the likes of News limited, Toshiba, Mercedes-Benz
to name a few.  One of the biggest challenges our clients face is
cyber-squatting through gTLD domain names.   We make exhaustive attempts to
identify cybersquatters but whenever we come up against privacy protection it
is almost impossible to get their details unless we get a subpoena through the
courts, which is totally unreasonable when our client's IP is obviously being
compromised.  This precludes any avenue to amicably resolve an issue, and only
leaves us with one option - going through the courts, at our expense.

Our experience is that people use the privacy service to hide their details
because of the questionable nature of the registration.  Of the hundreds of
corporate brands we have on our books (and tens of thousands of domain names),
we have around a dozen domain names on privacy protection (for merger
purposes).  However, when we conduct brand audits across the gTLD space we will
see hundreds of cyber squatters flagrantly sitting on our client's brands, and
using privacy protection to avoid being identified.    We see it as a tool that
is predominantly being used for dubious purposes.

 From our experience, privacy protection is a tool that be used for the
following activity:

-          Cybersquatting;

-          Typosquatting;

-          Phishing domain name platforms;

-          Domain names that host sites that sale counterfeit goods; and

-          Domain names that host sites that defame or damage reputation
through slanderous or provocative content.

We can provide examples of such activity (on approval from our clients) if
requested.

We also don't understand why we have a whois policy on gTLD domain names, if
they can simply be hidden on request.  It makes the policy redundant in many
ways and we do question the rationale.

For domainers and people within the industry - they love privacy protection,
and are the biggest voices in keeping this mechanism.... but I feel the victims
of this policy are the legitimate brands who are more freely targeted as a
result of privacy protection.  As they are not a part of the domain name
industry, and do not participate in these forums, their voices are not heard.
Having a big portfolio of corporate clients, we see this problem on a broader
scale across multiple brands and businesses.  It (privacy protection) is a real
problem, is being misused and should be retired.

Regards,

Edward Seaford
Commercial Team
T: (03) 9820 0466 | F: (03) 9820 5834 | M: 0405 301 250
Suite 107, 434 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne, VIC 3004

W: www.webip.com.au<http://www.webip.com.au/> E:
ed.seaford@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ed.seaford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

[cid:345D626B-F704-474F-939D-9A4A146C6745@BoB]<http://www.webip.com.au/>
   [cid:60E20E23-2D81-4971-B1D8-6B7A36AD1836@BoB]
<https://twitter.com/WebIPAustralia>
[cid:CA59E408-E240-4E71-8D16-6255930783EE@BoB]
<http://www.facebook.com/WebIPAustralia>
[cid:BDB2DBB2-F982-4646-B95C-EC28CA48CA9D@BoB]
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/web-ip>
[cid:FF0A3E57-D70C-4ABB-B330-F0863684C782@BoB]
<http://www.youtube.com/user/webipvideos>
[cid:243D09F4-0F9E-4D51-8A6B-EA429AC63794@BoB]
<http://www.webip.com.au/blog/>
________________________________
This email (including all attachments) is intended solely for the named
addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
If you receive it in error, please let us know by reply email, delete it from
your system and destroy any copies. This email is also subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written
consent of the copyright owner. Emails may be interfered with, may contain
computer viruses or other defects and may not be successfully replicated on
other systems. We give no warranties in relation to these matters. If you have
any doubts about the authenticity of an email purportedly sent by us, please
contact us immediately.

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>