ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[competition-pricing-prelim]

We endorse the comments submitted by AT&T / analysys mason

  • To: competition-pricing-prelim@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: We endorse the comments submitted by AT&T / analysys mason
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:42:56 -0700 (PDT)

We endorse, for the most part, the comments submitted by AT&T / analsys man
that were submitted today.

One important area in which we differ in their analysis is their implicit
assumption that it is the registry operators who "own" the TLD and can set
prices. We take the opposite view that instead the TLD is truly owned by the
public, and should be run for their benefit via regular public tenders of the
TLD whereby prospective registry operators would compete for operation of the
TLD for fixed period contracts, just like any other procurement contracts. It
is these tenders that would set the competitive price that would maximize
consumer benefits. We believe under competition the .com registry fees would be
below $2/yr per domain. We also believe that this would be the case for .net
and .org. [Even though .org is run by a supposed "non-profit" PIR, most of the
actual registry operations are outsourced to Afilias. If one analyzes the
financial statements of ISOC (PIR is owned by ISOC, the Internet Society), one
can verify that .org prices bear no relation
 whatsoever to cost, and instead that this "non-profit" has captured
significant revenues/surpluses at the expense of .org registrants.]

As an aside, we also dispute Demand Media's self-serving comments. It's clear
they plan to apply for TLDs, and want maximum flexibility to run them at a
significant profit through the elimination of price controls. It is a fact that
Demand Media is associated with VeriSign in promoting the dot-TV extension
(with its tiered pricing that I've in other comments):

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN1237934320061213

I believe I can safely speak for nearly all .com/net/org registrants that a
.tv-style pricing regime for existing registrants would be a disaster. It's
that instability that actually detracts from innovation, because it increases
the risks associated with investing and building up active websites. Using the
land metaphor, would one build a plant in Russia or a hotel in Venezuela if the
authorities there could simply expropriate your investment at a later date? Of
course not. Domain registrants don't want the mafia-style "forced partnerships"
that some registry operators seem to feel that they're entitled to, whereby
they can gouge registrants with unlimited price increases in order to takeover
their domain or to "have their taste or tribute." Registry operators (or
prospective ones) have been insisting that they get cost predictability from
ICANN (e.g. $25,000/yr, etc.) and presumptive/perpetual renewal. That's the
exact OPPOSITE of how things should
 work --- it is the REGISTRANTS who need cost predictability as it is they who
are creating all the innovation through their websites, and who require the
ability to have permanent and predictable ownership of their domains. While one
can see how Demand Media might benefit by becoming the Hugo Chavez of a TLD,
able to dictate prices in any manner it so chooses, we cannot see how that
would benefit registrants or the rest of the internet, including existing
registrants of domains in com/net/org.

It was ironic to see Demand Media (whose main registrar is eNom) so easily
dismiss trademark and other intellectual property issues when they themselves
have so vigorously defended their brand, going so far as to yank any domain
containing the strong "eNom" from clients without any UDRP or legal process:

http://tcattorney.typepad.com/anticybersquatting_consum/2007/05/enom_stealing_d.html
http://www.domainstate.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=76946

And "eNom" is a relatively low value mark, compared to the very valuable marks
in this world that consumers would recognize online or offline.

I would suggest if/when ICANN plans to do further studies of this nature, that
there be a GNSO workgroup/taskforce just like there was one for the WHOIS
studies, that could formulate a detailed plan (in consultation with all
stakeholders and the public) as to what should be the focus of the study. This
would also ensure that ICANN does not waste more money producing another PR
piece, but would instead be given much more focused parameters.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/