ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

In support of a CyberSafety Constituency

  • To: Heidi Ullrich <Heidi.Ullrich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: In support of a CyberSafety Constituency
  • From: Amy Gordon <byucat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:28:00 -0800

Ms. Ullrich,

My name is Amy Gordon. As a web designer and technology enthusiast in my early
twenties, I enjoy having the Web as a big part of my life. Someday, I hope to
bring my children into a civilized internet society. I believe that ICANN can
play a part in protecting the innocent on the Internet.

I fully support the formation of a CyberSafety Constituency for the same reason
I support laws against indecency in the real world: we must protect children.
Our society arrests people for public drunkenness, exposure, and lewd acts. We
cover the windows of "adult" stores. We don't let minors buy tickets for
R-rated movies. It's more than just a matter of society protecting the
innocent, though. It's a matter of giving parents the right to teach and
protect their children.

There are millions of good parents around the world who want to raise their
children to be productive, mature, sophisticated adults. They raise them to be
such by putting up barriers between their children and the more complicated and
mature things in the world. When they get older, and parents can tell they're
ready, children learn about these things in a way that helps them put sex,
drugs, violence, etc. in their proper context.

On the internet, children have access to all of these things devoid of any
context, and without the knowledge of those who care enough to explain these
concepts and actions appropriately.

I also care about the creation of a CyberSafety constituency because I know
that the easy access to pornography and lewd materials on the internet is
destroying families. Pornography is addictive, and like any addictive
substance, it destroys the minds of its victims and can destroy their families,
friendships, and even psychological stability. Essentially, the pornography
industry on the internet is a playground for the rapists, sexual offenders, and
murderers of tomorrow.

Families are the basic unit of our society, and their integrity is crucial to
our society's stability. Please, protect children, protect families, and
protect our society by creating a CyberSafety Constituency.

Thank you for your time and your intelligent consideration of this subject, and
good luck. I and my family and friends offer our thoughts and prayers that you
and your colleagues will make a wise decision.

Thanks,

Amy Gordon