ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Oppose Petition

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Oppose Petition
  • From: <hleec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 8:30:43 -0700

I strongly oppose this petition.

A free and open internet must be preserved.  If we enact a petition such as
this one, we are censoring the internet for everyone based on the morals of one
group of individuals.  That is a very dangerous road to be traveling on.  What
if the next petition is to put all non Muslim religions on different ports?
The Muslims are the fastest growing religious group in the world.  If they
decided Christian sites were 'morally' offensive to them, do we then start
censoring all Christian sites?

There are many means to protect the safety of children online, the biggest
being parental involvement in the activities of their children.  Governmental
involvement is not necessary or wanted.