[cyber-safety-petition]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

regarding the proposed Cybersafety Constituency

• To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: regarding the proposed Cybersafety Constituency
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:33:15 -0700

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I fail to see any technical basis for the proposed new constituency: it does not address technical shortcomings, Internet governance issues, scalability problems or security concerns. If there is no technical issue being solved here, that leaves only political issues, which is explicitly what the Internet infrastructure does NOT get involved in (and also not a part of ICANN's charter).

I strongly urge you to consider the precedent being set, and the long- term ramifications, of allowing a non-technical group with a purely political mission to get involved in decisions regarding Internet governance - decisions that must remain politically neutral in order for the Internet to retain the core characteristic that has made it so successful as a communications medium. Censorship MUST be done at the edge - to yield even a little bit on this issue is to invite the Balkanization of the Internet and the meddling interference of non- technical parties with an axe to grind from around the world, governments and NGOs alike.

Thank you for your attention.
- --
      Scott Francis | darkuncle(at)darkuncle(dot)net | 0x5537F527
It is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday facilitate
a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (Darwin)

iD8DBQFJwnPLWaB7jFU39ScRAqn/AKCsOmDejBbCrbknKSX4i5o2v01WnACgv9qf
9uOun38BmG9uWfra9wg9TmE=
=pSsi
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>