ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Cyber safety

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Cyber safety
  • From: Malcolm Boura <rlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 20:38:15 +0000

Dear Sir,

We feel obliged to oppose this proposal.

We support efforts to improve online safety. Unfortunately groups such as the one proposed almost invariably espouse policies some of which are based on folk law rather than fact. Consequently some of their actions harm the very people that they claim to be protecting. Policy must be based on evidence, anything else is suppersition and indistinguishable from prejudice. For example it is not coincidence that the most prudish western countries eg USA, have about ten times the teenage pregnancy rates of the most liberal countries eg Denmark and The Netherlands. The probable risk of harm to young people outweighs the possible benefits of groups such as this. Please see our recent submission to The Scottish Government for a more detailed consideration of these issues. http://www.british-naturism.org.uk/mediacentre/files/submission_CYPSCD_TSG_0902.pdf

Best wishes

Malcolm Boura

--
Research and Liaison Officer
British Naturism

The information contained in this message is likely to be confidential and
privileged. It is intended only for the person named above. Any dissemination,
distribution, copying, disclosure or use of this message or its contents unless
authorised by us is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately. Thank you. You should understand and
accept that, when communicating with us by e-mail, it is not a totally secure
communications medium. Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail
and attachments are free from any virus, we would advise you to ensure they are
indeed virus free. We do not, to the extent permitted by law, accept any
liability (whether in contract, negligence or otherwise) for any virus
infection and/or external compromise of security and/or breach of
confidentiality in relation to transmissions sent by e-mail. We do not accept
service of documents by e-mail.