ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Opposed

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposed
  • From: Thomas Joy <twjoy333@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 20:39:48 -0600

I believe this measure will be a tremendous and ineffective waste of
resources, should it pass, not to mention dangerous.

Whose job will it be to decide which content is filtered from which
Internet?  Can that person be trusted?  What about their successor?

What will happen when censorship inevitably steps from
anti-pornography to more sinister corporate and political agendas?  Do
we want a worldwide version of China's extremely restrictive national
firewall?

At any rate, clever users will quickly find a way to circumvent any
form of censorship on the Internet.

Also, I add a hearty "me too" to Mike Place's comments below, as
quoted from his email, publicly posted at
http://forum.icann.org/lists/cyber-safety-petition/msg00215.html :

>I oppose this initiative and encourage ICANN not to adopt it.

>The very power of the Internet is in its extraordinary value to provide full
>and free expression and anonymity. To move away from either value and
>especially to encourage ICANN to provide facilities for content filtering is to
>deeply wound the very values which make the global communications
>infrastructure so valuable to our society.

>It should not be within the purview of ICANN to address social problems with
>technical solutions.

>Please do not approve the petition for the CSC to become a part of the NCSG.

>-mp

Me, too.

-- Thomas Joy