ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

OPPOSE in its current form

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: OPPOSE in its current form
  • From: Tilghman Lesher <tilghman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:05:35 -0500

While I am interested in this constituency, I have a problem with the voting
rights given to corporate entities under the proposed charter.  Each
individual who demonstrates that they have an interest in being part of this
interest group and who meets the criteria should have a single vote.
Corporations, while welcome to participate in discussions, should have zero
votes.  If the individual members of a non-profit corporation would like to
register as individual members of this group, and they meet the criteria
established, they should each be afforded a single vote.

The problem lies in the ease of creation of a non-profit corporation.  In my
home state of Tennessee, it is as easy as filing a document and paying a
$110 fee.  This effect of being able to pay your way into gaining more voting
power should be prevented at the charter level.

--
Tilghman