ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Response To Chris Wills

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Response To Chris Wills
  • From: earlmott@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:42:35 -0400

I understand your concern over the thought of trying to legislate morality.? If
you read the charter you would know that that is not the purpose.? But as an
example, there are porn channels on my local cable TV provider.? I am very much
opposed to my children being able to accidentally encounter these channels
while "channel surfing'.? Therefore I ask my provider to not allow those
channels into the feed for my home.? I am not impacting the Playboy Channel
from producing anything they want nor am I impacting any other subscriber from
accessing this material.? This is a technology answer that meets both parties
needs.?

Is it not logical to allow a voice for those who would like to see some type of
solution that would provide the same cyber safety for the Internet?? I would
only ask that we try something.?

The current state of allowing anyone to do anything is just not an acceptable
answer for the safety of those who are too young to sort this out for
themselves.? It is proven that the current filter technology is not the
answer.? It is interesting to go farther on your example of legislating the use
of alcohol.? It is not illegal to use it but it is banned for those who are
"underage" that aren't old enough to know how to use it.? Silencing those who
would like to look for the same kind of a solution to a similar problem only
serves one group -- those that profit from this material.

Earl Mott