ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[domain-tasting-2008]

RE: [ga] Tasting twist?: Drop-Catching Domains Is Big Business

  • To: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ICANN Domain name tasting" <domain-tasting-2008@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Tasting twist?: Drop-Catching Domains Is Big Business
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 18:10:49 +0100

Jeff,

especially, the second link points to a valuable document collecting
credible comparisons and evaluation of tasting effects on .com, .net,
and .org domains in overall means. The document also seems to correspond
to my findings gathered during my personal research, namely the fact
that all .com and .net domains are immediately registered after
releasing back to the pool, and that eNom is one of the most active
participant on the practice.

However, the document is still lacking mentioning some other aspects
and/or findings that are of similar importance

a) Many (if not most of) domains being tasted are simultaneously placed
on virtual auctions, such as Sedo, BuyDomains, etc. This can be quite
easily verified by searching the tasted names at the auction company
sites, quite a boring stuff though.

b) The document does not seem to identify the three mentioned tasting
registrars BelgiumDomains, DomainDoorman, and CapitolDomains as
belonging to the same company, most likely driven by CapitolDomains LLC.
This fact can be easily recognized by comparing the registrars' IP
addresses.
On the other hand, very nice identification of Wan-Fu China (and similar
phantom registrants covering up the above mentioned registrar
activities) as a well-known alias of "Unasi", a famous drop catcher.

c) The analysis does not address at all the new trends and dangers of
'public domain tasting', a new phenomenon I elaborated on in my previous
mail.

We could perhaps be expecting an upgrade of the analysis in the near
future.

A nice study to look into anyway.

Dominik