ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

TLD revisions -

  • To: <draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: TLD revisions -
  • From: "Mike at CTS" <ctsmail@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:15:25 -0600

New gTLD Program - Draft Expressions of Interest/Pre-Registrations Model

My comments are as follows:

The general populace is ignorant concerning the reason for and structure of
the Domain Naming program.
As a result we have millions of people scrambling after .COM TLD names.  To
create more TLD's does not seem to effectively
address a problem of ignorance.

I have had people tell me I don't want .BIZ TLD because everybody uses .COM.
I have also had someone tell me "I don't care if .NET is primarily for
Service providers, the .COM I want is not available
and I'm getting a .NET.  I don't want .BIZ because it doesn't sound as
nice."

I think a more precise control at the Registrars level would be more helpful
than establishing more new TLD's.

I have also found that even though a TLD such as ORG or BIZ may be
appropriate for an individual or small business, they are not
aware of TLD's other than .COM.  The perception that .COM is the only
acceptable TLD is prevalent.  Perhaps more stringent qualifications
or enforcement for Registrants be helpful as well.  (ie: you actually need
to be in business to get a .COM or you actually need to be an ISP or
provide network services to secure a .NET)

Respectfully submitted.

Michael Clemens
Computing Technologies Services, Inc.
608.442.0572 - voice