ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[drawing-prioritization]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Regional balance

  • To: drawing-prioritization@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Regional balance
  • From: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:28:29 -0300

Lacking from Oct 10 2012 proposition to do batching and metering is regional
balance. Regional balance has been described as a pillar of the program, and
was present in the Digital Archery method. Lack of regional balance in the
proposed methodology further diminishes ICANN international outreach, instead
of adding to it.

We fully endorse IDN priority (disclaimer: we have no IDN applications), but
think that using regional round-robin (same methodology from Digital Archery)
to prioritize both IDN applications and non-IDN applications contributes to the
international outreach strategy. As far as we know there are no gTLDs based out
out Africa or Latin America at current stage, as there are also no IDN gTLDs.

Selecting the regional round-robin previously defined also lowers litigation
risk to the process by increasing its likelihood with previously disclosed
procedures.

As a matter of fact, as the outcome of Digital Archery was going to be more
random thank skill-based after all, the draw process is actually very similar
to it.

Rubens Kühl
NIC.br

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>