ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[drawing-prioritization]

Uniregistry Comment on Prioritizing New gTLD Applications

  • To: "drawing-prioritization@xxxxxxxxx" <drawing-prioritization@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Uniregistry Comment on Prioritizing New gTLD Applications
  • From: Bret Fausett <bret@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 17:26:54 -0600

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the "Use of a Drawing for
Prioritizing New gTLD Applications." This comment is submitted on behalf of
Uniregistry Corp., an applicant for 54 top-level domains in both English and
Spanish languages.

First and foremost, Uniregistry is pleased to support the concept of a
Prioritization Draw. As we wrote in an earlier public comment, we believe that
random selection is the fairest method of ordering applications. We are pleased
that ICANN was able to find a way to implement this.

Second, on the issue of prioritizing IDN applications, we note that nothing in
the Applicant Guidebook suggests that any particular kind of top-level domain
is more or less in the public interest. We believe that every applicant
passionate about its top-level domain application can make a compelling case as
to why the public interest is furthered in some way by the increased choice,
competition, price, language, geography, or service to a previously
under-served community or market segment that comes with its new top-level
domain. The new gTLD program as a whole was designed to advance ICANN's
mission, and we disagree with ICANN's assumption that prioritization of an IDN
like "游戏" (Chinese for "Games") is inherently more in the public interest than,
for example, Uniregistry's application for .JUEGOS (Spanish for "Games"). Under
the proposed rule, non-English non-IDN TLDs are effectively penalized for
sharing the same character set as the English language.

We also note that one of the primary policies driving the gTLD program is the
need to bring consumers expanded choice and to create broad and vigorous
registry-to-registry competition in the marketplace. Viewed in that light, we
believe it is a counterintuitive policy choice for ICANN to give
first-to-market advantage to the company with 75% market share of the existing
gTLD registration market and which applied, for its non-Branded TLDs,
exclusively for IDN transliterations of .COM. We believe ICANN should balance
any benefit of prioritizing IDN applications with the side-effect injury to
competition that comes from pushing the dominant incumbent registry to market
ahead of new market entrants.

Nevertheless, in the interests of expediting the new TLD process and not
opening yet another comment period on a revised policy, Uniregistry can support
the existing prioritization plan for IDNs so long as (i) the scope of the
prioritization is not expanded beyond IDNs and (ii) any delays specific to the
implementation of IDN TLDs do not cause non-IDN TLDs to wait behind them.

Thank you again for the opportunity to comment and we are looking forward to
attending the prioritization draw next month.

Very truly yours,

Bret A. Fausett
Counsel to Uniregistry, Corp.

--