ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] "introductions" thread

  • To: dssa@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] "introductions" thread
  • From: Sean Copeland <sean.copeland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 00:24:10 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Following up from the last few introductions, by no means am I in the technical
class, though I have spent a number of years around computers - I grew up with
a 300 baud hard line connection from my house to the ministry of education,
punch card readers and the sort.  Turning my back on technology I pursued a
History and Psychology major with minors in Political Science and Canadian
Studies.  Interrupted by the arrival of my children I found my way back to
computers - or more rightly my best friend begged me to do a little project
with him.  I have pretty well been entrepreneurial since then and have not
looked back.

Over the last decade and a half I've been heavily involved in payment
processing - having gone through AIS, and Tier 1 PCI qualifications through
Europe long before it was required in Canada.  My day job team have been active
in linking VAPS and MAPS into financial institutions, and we are actively
moving from payment processing to owning part of an international ISO.  We also
have a couple patent pendings in the payments area, and own part of a patent
dealing with bills of exchange in the US.

By way of organizational structure I served as strategic chair, finance
director, and president of one of the larger grass roots non partisan groups in
Canada, and the media said beyond into the Commonwealth, with the express
purpose of keeping our local hospital open.  This was a multi year process and
one that we succeeded in doing. The work with this group taught me many things
about bringing under one roof people that normally are not natural allies and
keeping them together to achieve a goal.

In terms of ICANN, my involvement has been to support Dotty Sparks with the
operation of the .vi TLD.

In terms of how I operate, I'll tend to read everything that is sent out by
everyone, though will tend not to comment unless I feel an absolute need to.

Cheryl... I am jealous of your farm :) I used to own a couple acres and a few
horses.  I used to play the flugelhorn, now my musical talent revolves around
my children cringing when I sing to any 80's song that comes on the radio - I
am assured it's not a pretty thing so I'll sit on the side with you while Mike
plays!

To the rest of you I look forward to meeting you in person, learning from you,
and contributing where I can.

Sean