ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

[dssa] DSSA Adobe Connect Room chat transcript 11 August 2011

  • To: "dssa@xxxxxxxxx" <dssa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dssa] DSSA Adobe Connect Room chat transcript 11 August 2011
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:41:32 -0700

Rossella Mattioli: Good morning

CLO: Waiting for dial out

Rossella Mattioli: The adobe audio is working

Rossella Mattioli: no only adobe

Rossella Mattioli: I am not on the call, I will interact via chat

Rossella Mattioli: thank you

Andrew de la Haije - RIPE NCC: joining the call via adobe

Mike O'Connor: to reduce echo, please mute your computer speakers

Eric Brunner-Williams: black screen

Patrick Jones: Yes - black screen

Rossella Mattioli: black screen

Luis Espinoza .cr: Yes, I have black screen too

Luis Espinoza .cr: yes

Patrick Jones: looks good

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: yep better

Rossella Mattioli: yes

Rossella Mattioli: echo

Andre: can everyone mute their microphone

Eric Brunner-Williams: frequent on vsat hops

Eric Brunner-Williams: i'm not on vsat

Glen de Saint Gery: it is Andre Thompson's line

Andre: i am disconnecting the audio

Eric Brunner-Williams: the version of the map i got from thw wiki (latest
apparently) doesn't have names

Rossella Mattioli: I was  in Mark group

Don Blumenthal: If you're on Skype, remember to mute speakers in Adobe as well
as Skype.

Joerg Schweiger: i guess it meant typo

Rossella Mattioli: yes

Andre: The internationalized domain name (IDN) homograph attack is a way a
malicious party may deceive computer users about what remote system they are
communicating with, by exploiting the fact that many different characters look
alike

Eric Brunner-Williams: not "tag"

Eric Brunner-Williams: "attack"

Eric Brunner-Williams: edmon can't hear the complete word

Patrick Jones: This would fit under leveraging DNS

Andre: e.g. the russian cyrillic o is differnt from the western european o

Eric Brunner-Williams: after a decade of idn(a)bis work, i've no idea what "idn
attack" could be

Andre: so amazon.com can look like amazon.com by changing the one or more of
the os to a Cyrillic o

Eric Brunner-Williams: might as well say "i" "1" "l" attack

Eric Brunner-Williams: i've no idea what was originally ment by "needs to
border dns" but there is a lot of re-writing

Patrick Jones: Mikey - I understand you're tying to move things into natural
groups, but it may be better to keep separation between threats leveraging the
DNS vs threats on the underlying infrastructure

Eric Brunner-Williams: so the several recent papers by eff, zhang and others on
isp monitizing synthetic return/content modification

Patrick Jones: Thanks Mikey

Eric Brunner-Williams: ah. split view.

Andre: is someone snoring?

Eric Brunner-Williams: integrity is in the eye of the viewer -- from china, the
iana root has been "broken" for some years, and a "right" answer is better than
a "consistent[ly] wrong" answer

Patrick Jones: You mean alternate root, strings appearing in other
configurations not supported in the global root

Patrick Jones: Understood Eric

Patrick Jones: I get the point you're making

Eric Brunner-Williams: ok

Eric Brunner-Williams: cgn effects. that's another lower-layer attack on the
e2e model that the dns is supposed to be providing persistent name to resource
association

Eric Brunner-Williams: {cgn,synthetic return,rfc1918/border,...} are/allow mitm
attacks

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: +1 Eric, good point

Eric Brunner-Williams: agency of interpositioning entity between stub and
authoritative

Eric Brunner-Williams: note that "authoritative" is itself
{authoritative+cached-secondaries+temporal-consistency}

Eric Brunner-Williams: until explained, non-threat

Eric Brunner-Williams: source of resolution load, what else?

Eric Brunner-Williams: non-threat until hell-freezes over or most relays fully
sixed

Luis Espinoza .cr: In which way could be a vulnerability?

Luis Espinoza .cr: Maybe could be an indirect attack

Eric Brunner-Williams: 10m spent on "spam", only hypo v6 address hopping.

Andre: great job!

Luis Espinoza .cr: OK

Rossella Mattioli: ok

Rossella Mattioli: thank you so much