ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

RE: [dssa] what topics are in-scope, and why

  • To: SM <sm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dssa] what topics are in-scope, and why
  • From: Greg Aaron <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 13:11:57 -0400

Dear SM:

Thanks.  Here is why those two items seem in-scope to me.

As you say, it is not ICANN's role to fix protocols.  However, we are
chartered to point out relevant problems.  Flaws in the DNS protocol are by
definition intrinsic to the DNS itself.  For example, the Kaminsky Bug
allowed attackers to perform cache poisoning on most nameservers.   A bug
like that offers a widespread exploit of the DNS.

Regarding alternate roots: a fractured DNS means that the resolvability and
predictability we currently enjoy would go away.  Queries to a domain name
could go to two or more registries each claiming to be authoritative for
that name, etc.  ICANN's core mission is about the uniqueness of identifiers
at the root and TLD levels, and maintaining it.  (See also: fast-track IDN
TLDs, and the nTLD program.)  So challenges posed to a unified root are in
scope to discuss.

Are you swayed, or can you tell us more about your thinking?

All best,
--Greg