ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

[dssa] Chat Transcript DSSA 27 October

  • To: "dssa@xxxxxxxxx" <dssa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dssa] Chat Transcript DSSA 27 October
  • From: Kristina Nordstrom <kristina.nordstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 05:27:52 -0700

Dear all,

Please find below the chat transcript from the DSSA Working Group meeting in in
Dakar today 27 October.

Kind regards,
Kristina

-----

  Kristina Nordstrom:Hi George
  Mike O'Connor:yay!  i'm in
  joerg:Mikey, may I jump in one one of the issues Rod raised
  Mike O'Connor:sure Jorg
  joerg:Mikey, strongly agree to your second alternative
  sow:what we can do for becoming member of this group
  sow:???
  Andrew Sullivan:For one example of DNSSEC failure that was not a cross-domain
issue, consider what happened in .fr
  Andrew Sullivan:Many congratulations to AFNIC for being so transparent about
these things
  Andrew Sullivan:they have taught us all
  Andrew Sullivan:but they've gone completely bogus three times due to DNSSEC
issues
  Andrew
Sullivan:http://www.slideshare.net/AFNIC/monitoring-dnssec-not-everything-is-perfect-yet
  Andrew Sullivan:this means that everyone who depended on .fr could not
validate, either
  Andrew Sullivan:(during those events)
  Andrew Sullivan:And again, this is not to cast aspersions on AFNIC, who did
IMO a fabulous job transparently explaining what happened.
  Mark Kosters:they are not the only ones - icann went bad too
  Mark Kosters:they let sigs expire on  ipv6 reverse zones
  Jaap:There are more of these reports about dnsssec problems and other  TLD
fuck ups on various lists such as nanog, centr/tech etc.
  Andrew Sullivan:@Mark: yes, exactly.  (But to Stephane and co's credit,
they've been running around trying to tell others what they learned so that
others don't make the same mistakes.)
  Andrew Sullivan:The dnssec-deployment mailing list archives also have a lot
of discussion of these examples.
  Jaap:AFNIC also talked about it during ICANN in San Francisco
  george asare sakyi:Mike does harvesting personal contact includes identity
stealing
  Mark Kosters:you got it right mikey
  Rossella Mattioli:yep
  Rossella Mattioli:what about the people on adobe?
  Jacques Latour:about 50+ people in the room here
  Jacques Latour:ok
  Mark Kosters:i like this idea better
  sow:how he can joint the list group???
  Rossella Mattioli::)
  Mike O'Connor:Jorg -- are we going to collect and tally the papers today, or
collect and tally them later?
  joerg:I will collect them
  Mike O'Connor:can you do a quick count and see what the sense of the room is?
 t'would be great to have a little discussion...
  sow:ma again:  what we can do for becoming member of this group
  Mark Kosters:mikey - for those who don'thave the one pager that are remote,
is there a url to look at it from?
  Mike O'Connor:hang on Mark --  i'll find it and paste it in chat...
  Mike O'Connor:dang!  it's not on our web site -- my mistake Mark.  may take
too long to get it up there -- i'll try.
  Mark Kosters:np -
  Kristina Nordstrom:Mike perhaps you can put it on the wiki
  Mike O'Connor:yep -- it's posted at the bottom of this page --
https://community.icann.org/display/AW/Meeting+Plans
  Mike O'Connor:it's called "Dakar meeting one page summary" and there's a link
to a PDF.
  Mike O'Connor:we're definitely good at improvising here in DSSA   :-)
  joerg:Mikey, I think we count them out later and wrap up the meeting
  Mike O'Connor:makes sense to me --  thanks!
  Jacques Latour:can you go over the process for analysing the threats
  joerg:no trend
  Mark Kosters:thanks for posting it mikey
  joerg:you picked the one with one vote
  Mark Kosters:i agree with rod - that seems like a weak one
  Mark Kosters:thanks mikey
  Rossella Mattioli:Thank you mikey!
  Rossella Mattioli:Yess!
  Kristina Nordstrom:Thank you all for attending! The chat transcript will be
distributed on the DSSA email list.