ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] for review only -- next version of the ranking worksheet

  • To: dssa@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] for review only -- next version of the ranking worksheet
  • From: Jörg Schweiger <schweiger@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 18:11:05 +0100

Hi all,

to my point of view in the evaluation sheet  there's still one thing
missing which I'd like to call a "constraint". Likelihood, impact and
mitigation have to be seen in the context of whether they really do matter
for what we called "the" DNS.
A combination of (high, high low) might still not effect _the_ DNS, if
let's say a TLD with just a couple of thousand domains is effected
(although it may be disasterous for the said TLD).
As to this we would have to tick values in the sheet according to our
assessment of the current state of the listed threats with respect to the
root and TLDs that really matter for the system as a whole.
And this would open up the question once again, wheather or not we should
not only consider level 0 and 1, but large DNS operators as well.

What do you think?

regards

Jörg

________________________________
Dr. Jörg Schweiger
Member of the Executive Board

DENIC eG
Kaiserstraße 75-77
60329 Frankfurt

E-Mail: schweiger@xxxxxxxx
Tel: + 49 69 27 235 - 455
Fax: + 49 69 27 235 - 235

PGP-Key-ID: 0x6ACD 7361
Fingerprint: 0F4A 0169 8972 D87D 26BE  4BE8 B1D2 8B71 6ACD 7361

Sitz: Frankfurt am Main
Eingetragen unter Nr. 770 im Genossenschaftsregister beim Amtsgericht
Frankfurt am Main
Vorstand: Sabine Dolderer, Helga Krüger, Carsten Schiefner, Dr. Jörg
Schweiger
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Elmar Knipp