ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

[dssa] Chat Transcript from Joint DNS Security and Stability Analysis Working Group - 15 Dec 2011

  • To: "dssa@xxxxxxxxx" <dssa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dssa] Chat Transcript from Joint DNS Security and Stability Analysis Working Group - 15 Dec 2011
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 07:22:04 -0800

  Rossella Mattioli:Hello!
  Rossella Mattioli:yep :)
  bart Boswinkel:good afternoon
  Julie Hedlund:Good morning everyone!
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I can count! :-)
  Patrick Jones:Hello - on mute
  Patrick Jones:That's good because I already did
  Mark Kosters:i'm on adobe only
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:This is a rather diverse set of view!
  Rossella Mattioli:Im having network issues I disconnenct and go back
  bart Boswinkel:Mikey can you increase the size of the worksheet?
  Mark Kosters:.com would be across the board - root server would only affect
that one constellation of machines
  Patrick Jones:If its a configuration error in one & only one root servers,
there's likely limited impact if the other 12 are just fine
  Mark Kosters:so it could be a 3 it could be a10
  joerg:verisign has taken lots of precautions
  Rossella Mattioli:back
  Patrick Jones:Joerg, that's why I ranked it a 3
  Rossella Mattioli:Unfortunatelu I cannot hear, I scored at 10 due to a
possible domino effect
  Mark Kosters:roots have diff administrations
  Mark Kosters:so config error are harder - not because softeware is more robust
  Rossella Mattioli:no it's working :)
  Rossella Mattioli:finally
  Mark Kosters:it will not work well
  joerg:wide ranging???
  Mark Kosters:because it is - it could be bad if it is a .com config error
  Mark Kosters:and we had one in 1997
  Rossella Mattioli:I agree with Mark
  Mark Kosters:burned down the net for 24 hours
  Rossella Mattioli:Is DNSSEC covered by this item?
  Mark Kosters:that is another issue
  Mark Kosters:i would only have it be dns
  Mark Kosters:on config errors
  Mark Kosters:who cares if whois is fubared for a bit
  Patrick Jones:yeah, if its DNSSEC the impacts are more wide-ranging
  Patrick Jones:and Don's observation is a good one
  joerg:ok with respect to DNSSEC I would vote 4
  Rossella Mattioli:ok
  joerg:It seems like we are voting how good we feel Verisign is doing it's job
  Patrick Jones:Again - that's a big range. We've had a RegisterFly (2 mil
names under management), that's an example from the registrar space
  Patrick Jones:Don't forget there are only a few main players in the data
escrow space, most registries use IronMountain
  Mark Kosters:i put 10
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:yes, that's also a very valid problem -- data escrow!
  Patrick Jones:Registry Failover work predated RegisterFly, but was certainly
pushed along by that happening
  Rossella Mattioli:I agree with Mike
  joerg:i agree
  bart Boswinkel:All, just checked the charter, documenting the existing
mitigation measures is one of the objectives of the wg as well:
  Rossella Mattioli:Exact;y
  Patrick Jones:Again - big range there. SOPA may be 8-10, small ccTLD taken
out accidentially by a nation state may have wide-ranging
  Rossella Mattioli:Russia
  Patrick Jones:If Russia , I'd label as a 9+
  Rossella Mattioli::)
  Patrick Jones:And by the instructions we're given, SOPA wouldn't be accidental
  Rossella Mattioli:and if we had an accident like the BGP one  when Pakistan
hijacked YouTube
  Rossella Mattioli: by accident
  Rossella Mattioli:?
  Patrick Jones:I agree with Don
  joerg:ok with me
  Patrick Jones:I'd rather not, but could do it
  bart Boswinkel:Suggest we look again at distinction between source and event
  Mark Kosters:i will not be able to make it
  Don Blumenthal:Can we assume that two weeks from now won't happen?
  Mark Kosters:i like this voting stuff
  Don Blumenthal:A meeting, not that the day won't happen.
  Rossella Mattioli:ok thanks!
  Rossella Mattioli:bye!