ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] RE: Revised Draft Confidentiality Guidelines

  • To: dssa@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] RE: Revised Draft Confidentiality Guidelines
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 07:09:31 -0600

hi Jim,

sorry about the tardy reply.  i'm completely distracted by this "frac sand"
issue that has overwhelmed my tiny rural county here in Wisconsin -- read more
at www.FracSandFrisbee.com

thanks for your comments.  we did have a fairly long discussion abut this on
one of the Ops calls, but i can't recall whether you were on that one.

i think the thing to do is turn to the information *providers* on this one.
i'm much less concerned about collegiality than i am about the comfort level of
the info-providers and would ask folks like Keith Drazek, Edmon Chung, the
ccNSO registry representatives to weigh in on this.

our goal with this process is to make sure that info-providers are absolutely
comfortable that highly sensitive information that they share is protected.  if
they're comfortable, i'm comfortable.  but if the process doesn't provide
sufficient safeguards in their view, i think that trumps the collegiality goal
because it seems likely to me that info-providers then won't share the
information we need in order to do our analysis.

my two cents -- but i totally defer to those of you who are going to be asked
to share info.  thoughts?

mikey

On Jan 27, 2012, at 10:05 AM, James M. Galvin wrote:

> I'll add one more voice to Don's comments and say that I agree with him.
>
> If I understand the concern, Mikey, it's about accountability.  Frankly, I
> think we're creating process that is overly pejorative for an infrequently
> occurring event.
>
> It seems to me that if someone is part of the group then they are part of the
> group and they are accountable to the group as a whole.  In other words, all
> this tracking and record keeping to see who "vouched" for who and when and
> why can be straightforwardly replaced by a "process for entry" and then
> "maintenance by the group".
>
> If take this line of thinking to its logical extreme, if a person becomes
> "fouled", we should be examining all decisions and activities of this person
> to date, not just their chain-of-trust that got them in the group or the
> chains-of-trust of which they might be a party.  Why are we calling out this
> one actionable decision of a "foul" person.
>
> I believe that a person in the group, any person, stands on their merit.
> Once you are in the group gets to manage whether you are "foul" or not.
>
> Otherwise, again reaching to a logical extreme, you're suggesting that if I
> vouch for someone I have to watch them carefully, with continuous oversight,
> because my standing and credibility is at risk for having invited them to
> participate.  Similarly, as a "vouched for" person, I have to watch carefully
> and continuously the person(s) who vouched for me to make sure they function
> on the straight and narrow.
>
> Such a set of circumstances does not feel collegial to me.
>
> I apologize if this point was made and "out-voted" in the prior discussion,
> but I don't recall the prior discussion which suggests to me that I missed
> it.  This is a common issue insofar as I've seen it before in other groups
> and I have always held this position about it and I wanted to make sure it
> was part of the discussion.
>
> Jim
>

> On Jan 26, 2012, at 9:04 AM, Don Blumenthal wrote:
>

>> Mikey,
>>
>> I see your point and agree that the situation is unlikely. It just strikes
>> me that the work of a subgroup could be affected by this constant
>> probationary status. If a voucher's (I wish that OARC had used a term
>> other than "vouch") trust was well-placed, the situation shouldn't change
>> if the person leaves. If it was misplaced, the situation is fouled
>> regardless of whether that person remains. The last phrase is part of the
>> reason that I focused on the "repudiation" interpretation.
>>
>> Don
>>

>> On 1/26/12 8:03 AM, "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> hi Don,
>>>
>>> i'm still going to push back.  remember -- the goal of this process is to
>>> protect information, not the feelings of the people handling it.  a key
>>> facet of the vouching process is that in addition to a chain of *trust*
> [...]

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     http://www.haven2.com