ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] i stole some of our stuff as rapporteur for the ISPCP comments on ICANN's SSR role and remit

  • To: Patrick Jones <patrick.jones@xxxxxxxxx>, Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] i stole some of our stuff as rapporteur for the ISPCP comments on ICANN's SSR role and remit
  • From: David Olive <david.olive@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:21:51 -0700

Patrick, Don and Mikey:

I saw this exchange and asked Filiz Yilmaz to provide further details.

Regards,     David

My name is Filiz Yilmaz, ICANN Staff.

I would like to address the recent mails regarding the ICANN Public
Comment Process.

As Don Blumenthal already noted, the new system was put in place by Jan
2012, as implementation of ATRT recommendations 15, 16, 17 and 21.

He also explained the Comment and Reply periods. I would just like to
provide confirmation of his points mostly, as the ICANN Staff who holds
the main responsibility of the implementation and management of this
process.

The main criteria set for this system are as noted at
http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment:

- The official minimum Comment period is 21 days.
- The official minimum Reply period is 21 days.
- If no substantive comments are received during the Comment period, then
there will be no Reply period.
- During the Reply period, participants should address previous comments
submitted; new posts concerning the topic should not be introduced. When
constructing Replies, contributors are asked to cite the original poster's
name, comment date, and any particular text that is pertinent.

Last point relates to the recent question raised in the list. As Don also
noted, the main intention behind the Reply period is mainly to address the
previous comments and have some discussion regarding them, facilitating
the desired consensus-building process.

While this system has been in place for about 6 months now, the ICANN
Board's Public Participation Committee (PPC) will hold a session to
receive community feedback and experience about the process again during
their consultation session during ICANN 44 in Prague.
Please join us in this session to provide your feedback on Thursday 28
June (9:00 ­ 10:30 am).
You can find the details of the session at:

http://prague44.icann.org/node/31809

Please let me know if I can be any further help.

Kind regards,

---
Filiz Yilmaz
Sr Dir Participation and Engagement
ICANN

David A. Olive
Vice President, Policy Development Support
1101 New York Avenue, NW - Suite 930
Washington, D.C.    20005
Office: 202.570.7126      Mobile:  202.341.3611