ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eoi-new-gtlds]

.Eco comments surrounding EOI

  • To: eoi-new-gtlds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .Eco comments surrounding EOI
  • From: Moses Boone <moses.boone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:40:58 -0500

First of all I wish to thank all of you for the gargantuan work that you
have done in the past and are expected to do in the Future.  We all
recognize that it is a Herculean task to launch a virtual ship into the
twenty first century to carry us forward.  Six billion thanks!

Moses Boone, owner of the .eco trademark.  I concur that it would be
expedient to know how many “real” applicants there are for the myriad of
gTLDs ICANN anticipates.

Allow me to detail my positions on the following questions:

   - Does participation in the EOI accurately represents the level of
   interest?

I believe that a deposit should be expected from applicants in order to
demonstrate they seriously intend to submit an application for a new gTLD.

   - Should only those who participate in the EOI be eligible to participate

in the first round when the program officially launches?

Obviously, yes. If it was only an optional step, there would be no way to

assert the volume of applications. Participation in the EOI process should

be a pre-requisite for filing an application later on.

   - Should a deposit be required for participation in the EOI?

Yes. A significant deposit will help eliminate frivolous applications. At

the same time, the deposit should not be a major barrier of entry for those

serious applicants who are not yet well-funded. One of the goals of this

process is to allow potential applicants to seek financial support from

their community.

Keeping in mind the different sizes and business models the applicants

will pursue, we suggest that a deposit of $25,000 would allow

not-for-profits and applicants from less favoured countries to submit their

expression of interest.

That deposit would then be deducted from the application fee later on,

should the EOI participant choose to go ahead with his application.

   - What information should be collected from EOI applicants?

Applicant's organization,contact data,and string details

   - Should information submitted in the EOI be made public?

Yes. Especially in case of string contention, the goal is to allow

competing applications to settle an agreement ahead of the application

process, thereby limiting the number of auctions.

Moses Boone
.ECOpreneur
www.twitter.com/thedoteco