ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eoi-new-gtlds]

.ECO Trademark Application

  • To: <eoi-new-gtlds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .ECO Trademark Application
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:10:18 -0500

Dear Mr. Boone,

Welcome to the ICANN process. As you may have noticed I previously posted an
email to this list regarding the potential gaming of the Expression of
Interest (EOI) process through a scheme I have labeled TLD Front Running,
see http://forum.icann.org/lists/eoi-new-gtlds/msg00018.html .  This is a
scheme I have broadly defined as third parties seeking to circumvent ICANN's
equitable allocation of new gTLDs by gaming the process, prior to the final
adoption of the new gTLD Applicant Guidebook. In the previous referenced
post I specifically highlighted those potential gTLD applicants seeking to
preclude participation in ICANN's first round of new gTLDs unless
prospective applicants mandatorily participate in an EOI process coupled
with a high filing fee, prior to ICANN's finalization and global
dissemination of the new gTLD Applicant Guidebook. Now I have previous
written about gTLD Front Running in the context of potential gTLD applicants
seeking to apply for national trademark registrations to interfere with
ICANN's equitable allocation of new gTLDs, see
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090819_new_gtlds_let_the_gaming_begin_part_1
_tld_front_running/

I notice in your post that you reference your .ECO trademark. Upon
information and believe your claim of these trademark rights have resulted
in the two potential .ECO gTLD applicants having their Facebook pages
suspended. Now in your filing with the USPTO you reference your trademark
specimen as a "website [that] is being used to solicit investors and support
prior to application to ICANN for a new environmental domain extension."

In ICANN's spirit of openness and transparency it would be appropriate if
you could share with the ICANN community your position if your US Trademark
registration (serial number 77452991) for "[d]esign, creation, hosting and
maintenance of internet sites for third parties; Hosting of digital content
on the Internet; Providing specific information as requested by customers
via the Internet" would have any influence on ICANN's allocation of the .ECO
gTLD string and any potential registry operator's right to have this string
included in the Root Server?

I am sure myself and others within the ICANN global community eagerly await
your response.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage