ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eoi-new-gtlds]

comments from Zodiac Holdings

  • To: eoi-new-gtlds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: comments from Zodiac Holdings
  • From: Bolei Z <zbolei@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:08:10 +0800

On behalf of Zodiac, I like to commend the ICANN staff and various
other people for actng quickly on the EOI that was expressed during
the Seoul meeting.  Any process that pushes forward the realization of
the new gTLDs would be applauded and supported by Zodiac.

Below are my comments on some of the issues that were put forward for
public comment:

How do we ensure that participation in the EOI accurately represents
the level of interest?

To accurately represent the level of interest, the EOI should be set
(with appropriate guidelines) in such a way that people that are truly
interested in applying for new gTLDs are motivated and have the
incentive to do so.  If the EOI process is culled into just another
process that leads nowhere, then the participation in the EOI will
never reflect the true level of interest.

Should only those who participate in the EOI be eligible to
participate in the first round when the program officially launches?

My preference is for only those who participate in the EOI be eligible
for the first round.  The opening of the new gTLDs is never for one
round.  It is intended to be a long term process where new gTLDs are
introduced via different rounds.

Should a deposit be required for participation in the EOI?

Yes, so that we are aware that those who participate in the EOI can be
a real and true reflection of the interest.

If there is a fee, under what circumstances should there be refund?

As per what is stated in the DAG.  This is because only the EOI
participants are eligible for the first round.  The refund policies
should follow in accordance to what's stated in the DAG.

What information should be collected from EOI participants?

Company name and the string to be applied for

What are the potential risks associated with the EOI?

If EOI is not supported by ICANN, then EOI just become another noise
in the crowd.  If EOI is supported by ICANN, then EOI has to be
properly designed to ensure that it can give ICANN an accurate
reflection of interest in new gTLDS.

Thanks.

Bolei
Zodiac Holdings Inc