ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[fast-flux-initial-report]

Comment: ICANN Fast Flux Hosting committee report

  • To: fast-flux-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment: ICANN Fast Flux Hosting committee report
  • From: "A. Murphy" <amurph@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 04:57:13 +0000

ref:
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/fast-flux-hosting/fast-flux-initial-report-26jan09.pdf

I commend the effort ICANN committee members have made to prepare the
draft of its study of fast flux domain hosting. I also appreciate the
draft's concern for preserving legitimate uses of any Internet
technology, and in particular its concern for techniques which can
support individual privacy. I suggest that elaboration be made of
legitimate uses of fast flux hosting and how they can be distinguished
from its illicit use.

I strongly hope that ICANN considers that draft study to be a starting
point for implementing policies designed to inhibit the illicit use of
fast flux hosting. In my experience of researching spam and related
e-mail vector attacks, fast flux hosting is the weapon of choice among
the most criminal elements in the spam black market. Phishing, malware
installation and money laundering spam attacks all use fluxing on a
daily basis. While some registrars and ISPs understand, recognize and
react appropriately to fast flux attacks, there are all too many which
do not. Both for ICANN-dependent entities, but also for ccTLDs and
others which are not beholden to ICANN, ICANN is in an excellent
position to provide leadership and guidance in developing policies and
guidelines to distinguish good and bad use of the Internet. Please
proceed to produce such a conclusive document which includes appropriate
policies for the suppression of illicit fast flux DNS hosting.

--
Alan Murphy
Spamhaus Project Team